Soissons before and during the war. Full text of before and during the 2019-03-10

Soissons before and during the war Rating: 5,6/10 1547 reviews

Soissons before and during the war : Free Download, Borrow, and Streaming : Internet Archive

soissons before and during the war

The North Arm of the Transept. The old harmonious construction of the nave is now to be seen only in the bays nearest the transept. In the second bay of the north aisle, a gallery B on plan , the remains of the old cathedral cloister, gave access to a large chapel Ctapelle des Oeuvres with two naves of three bays. Then followed the names of the courageous inmates. The cathedral of Soissons, like that of Arras, has greatly suffered in its vital parts.

Next

SOISSONS

soissons before and during the war

The French however, still held Pasly Hill to the north-east of Soissons. At the same time, in order to make the choir — as well as the transept, which had also escaped serious injury — once more available for public woeship, a partition was built shutting off the nave photo p. Everywhere else, pieces of broken or disjointed framework, supporting a completely ruined roof, are exposed to view photo above. Follow the road for nearly half-a-mile, then turn to the right into the road which goes up the side of the hill and skirts the caves. Its large doorway, sur- mounted by a broken triangu- lar frontal, is flanked by fluted pilasters. It was recaptured in of the same year.

Next

Soissons before and during the war

soissons before and during the war

On both banks of the river were outposts and advanced trenches with machine- guns photo below. All the arches of the gallery above the large rose-window were also destroyed in August 1918. In the background: Ruined Tower. Several shells penetrated the walls and roofing, exploding in the dormitories and class-rooms and destroying all before them. In the year 1212, on the third Ides of May, the Canons first took possession of the choir. As fcr the town itself, another 200 rounds were fired into it on February 28. On their fine capitals, decorated with four rows of crockets or foliage, rested the large arches of the ground floor, and the groups of five small columns which supported the springing of the pointed arches of the vault.

Next

Soissons before and during the war

soissons before and during the war

Ruffin's Chapel 17th century statue of the saint. An enormous breach was made in th; Cath? On the other hand, the bombard- ments seriously injured the chevet and the north front of the choir. During most of it was just behind the Franco-British lines and was heavily bombarded before being captured by the Germans in May 1918. Of the original structure there remain the arches on the Saint Waast side restored. Here are 18th-century houses Nos.

Next

SOISSONS

soissons before and during the war

We believe this work is culturally important in its original archival form. The windows and corner columns fell on the roof of the nave, breaking it in many places. The greater part of the objects unearthed are in the Museum {p. The main body of the Cathedral was completed in the middle of the 13th century, with the exception of the high parts of the main front on which a single tower was built in the 14th century and of the facade of the north arm of the transept also 14th century. There may be other records above, below, or alongside this record in the same hierarchy. The galleries are lighted — except on the right, which is ornamented with rose-windows — by tierce-point windows in groups of three.

Next

Full text of before and during the

soissons before and during the war

The wide, lofty aisles with windows gave additional light to the body of the church. The vaults of the ramaining bays, already weakened, could not with- stand the renewed bombardments. On February 25, twenty-one shells were fired at the same target. Above are pierced a row of bays and a fine rose-window containing old stained glass. To the east of the north arm of the transept, obstructing the first window of the choir aisle, is a 14th century portal with a sharply pointed gable, supported by two buttresses photo opposite.

Next

Soissons. Before And During The War. by Michelin

soissons before and during the war

For further information or more detail, please use the 'ask the seller a question' link on this page. In September 1918, all that remained of the tower were the two buttresses at the north- west and south-west corners. Several large pillars collapsed and a considerable portion of the upper part of the side walls, large arches and triforium fell in to the right and left. It was none the less a lay fief with the rank of county, which in 1131 obtained a communal charter under Louis-le-Gros, and on the accession of Francis I, became definitely part of the crown lands. Card is lightly rub worn and thumbed with some light shelf wear to edges and corners, creases to corners.

Next

SOISSONS

soissons before and during the war

Next were built, in pointed Gothic, the choir completed in 1212 then the nave. They were originally taken from the church of Saint Yved-de-Braines and inserted during the 19th century in the high windows of the apse and those of the Lady Chapel. South Arm of the Transept. Your contribution may be further edited by our staff, and its publication is subject to our final approval. The Exterior of the Cathejdral Nov. Of these old dwellings there remain three bays in tierce-point 13th century , on the first story of a house No.

Next